Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Hey, my name is Catarina Abrantes. I am a Spanish major and Secondary Education minor at Saint Peter's College. This is my first blog and although I have never written one before I believe it is a great idea. I guess I will start this blog with my thoughts on why I want to be a teacher.

As a child I always knew I wanted to educate others, I would walk around grading papers and talking to myself. It was when I got to high school that I made up my mind about what I wanted to teach. I had taken Spanish since 6th grade and loved it, therefore I continued with it through high school and now in college. I love learning new languages, cultures and traditions. I started speaking Portuguese as my first language and then learned Spanish; I didn't learn English until I started school.

I want to to educate others on the importance of accepting others and their cultures and traditions. Other nationalities are very unique and interesting to learn about and I don't think people value them enough. That's is why in my class I want everyone to feel equal and special. I am very nervous and yet excited to be teaching young adults about various traditions in the Hispanic world and hopefully learning from my students as well.

1 comment:

Dr. Luongo said...

It is nice to see you on the blog, Catarina!

I look forward to a great semester of blogging and discussing topics regarding education.