Monday, January 28, 2008

Last week in class we talked about the impact teachers have in the lives of their students. We all have that teacher or teachers that made a difference in our life and we will never forget. In high school I had two amazing teachers that guided me through difficult times and educated me as well. I know that my teachers impacted me and helped me become who I am today. I admired them and decided to follow in their footsteps; I want to make that impact in the lives of others.

One Hundred Years from now

(excerpt from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft)

One Hundred Years from now
It will not matter
what kind of car I drove,
What kind of house I lived in,
how much money was in my bank account
nor what my clothes looked like.
But the world may be a better place because
I was important in the life of a child.

Students depend on their teachers for support, attention and sometimes even care. Nel Noddings is a philosopher who believes care and education should work hand in hand to help students. At the high school level students are in the middle of becoming young adults and with that comes a lot of questions and emotions. Who better to help them through it than someone they see daily and can trust? Here is a site with more information on Nel Noddings and her interesting philosophy.

http://www.infed.org/thinkers/noddings.htm

3 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

Catarina,

Thank you for sharing this posting.

You will be one of those teachers one day.

I just have the feeling. ;)

mfatouros said...

That's so awesome! I have a few teachers I'll always remember. In fact, one teacher actually motivated me to become a teacher. I think everyone, whether they enjoy school or not, has that one teacher that affected them in so many ways and will remain a part of their lives forever.
--Mike

Chloe said...

Catarina,
That was a really good post. It made a lot of sense, and it is very true. I had a teacher in middle school who made a huge impact on my life, and she is the very reason why I am becoming an english teacher. Hopefully, one day I can have the same experience with a student/s.
Chloe