Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Being A New Teacher

I have always wanted to be a teacher and as a child I new I had to attend college in order to make this dream a reality. Now that I am more than half way there, I have to admit I am a little scared. Being a teacher is dealing with something new everyday, no day will be the same as the previous one and no student will be the same as another. I never really understood the sigificance of being a teachers until now. In class we mentioned the procedures some schools go through in order to practice for emergency situations; and that's when it hit me, the students are going to count on me! They are going to feel protected because I am there, I will have to remain calm under any situation in order for my students not to be traumatized. They are going to count on me for any problem or concern they are facing. I want to the that person who they can count on. It does scare me a little to know I will have to react accordingly to whatever situation may come, but I know it will all be worth it.Being a teacher is not having a job it is part of who you are and I take great pride in becoming an educator. It maybe a little hard in the begining but we must find the courage and enthusiasm; one day we maybe that one person who changes someone's life!

Site for begining teachers
http://www.beginningteachers.org/
http://www.inspiringteachers.com/

2 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

Teaching can be scary, but it can also be so rewarding.

I am glad to hear that today's class got you think about the different aspects of teaching. The lesson plans and the textbooks are a piece, but the true heart of teaching lies in the student/teacher relationship. The bonds that you form with your students are truly unbelieveable.

Fear is good. Fear is an emotion. As John F. Kennedy once said "We should not let our fears hold us back from pursuing our hopes."

Great post!

Mohammad Awadallah said...

I agree with you, sometimes I ask myself if I could handle the pressure that come's with being a teacher, but it is something that I see myself doing, and right now it's the only thing I see myself doing, I can be really shy sometimes, which I think I have to get rid of what's left of my shyness if I want to be a teacher, lol, so I understand the pressure you are feeling