Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Learning Disabilities

While I was working on my unit for Principles and Techniques I looked up learning disabilities. Never did I imagine the long list I was going to find. I knew about some like ADD and ADHD, but some of the ones I found shocked me. It really upset me because I figured if I didn't know some of these disabilities existed many others may not either. It also upset me because these children must go through such a difficult time to process information or just to get their words out. For example, Dysgraphia is trouble forming letters using pen and paper and can not produce legible hand writing and Dyspraxia is a severe difficulty in performing drawing, writing, buttoning, and other tasks requiring fine motor skill, or in sequencing the necessary movements. Can you imagine how hard it must be for a child to be able to enjoy art class? I was a little happier when I found out there are center and organizations that help through these difficult times!


Check this out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCqeFxDgacQ

2 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

It is frustrating. You will most likely come into contact with a student who has one of these disabilities. And, it may be undiagnosed. This is the toughtest part...when a student is struggling and you or the parent or the student does not know why.

The fact that you are opening your eyes to these issues before you start teaching is remarkable
. Knowing that these problems are out there will make you a stronger educator.

Great work, Catarina!

Susan Mascolo said...

that video is so cute!