Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Jr. Field

This past week while everyone was enjoying their Spring Break I was bust doing my Jr. Field. Since I am going to be a Spanish teacher I was able to observe all different levels of Spanish. The first few days I sat there writing notes of little techniques the teacher used. He was amazing! I enjoyed the experience. The second day he asked me if I would like to teach a lesson and although I was terribly nervous I agreed. I was so nervous I barely are all week and I couldn't sleep. I would wake up speaking in Spanish and thinking of what I would do that day. The teacher I was observing introduced me to a lot of people and made me feel welcomed. So, Friday was coming up and on Thursday I was thinking to myself," maybe this isn't for me; it's so stressful and so much work." So, Friday came and although I was a nervous mess I got myself together and did it. It was the best feeling in the world, I felt comfortable after talking to the students. The lesson was all in Spanish and there was an article on Spanish weddings, we listened to a recording and answered questions. We also spoke about the kind of weddings the students would like and some of the answers brought humour to the class. The next class I taught was a little different, it was a Basic Conversation and we did a lot of grammar and vocabulary. I taught them how to conjugate Present AR-verbs. It was such a great feeling to be teaching someone else. I didn't think I would say this but...I MISS THEM! It is this priceless feeling to hear them say, " will you be back on Monday?" I wish I could be there! They made my day when they said, "we wish you could stay longer and you're so much fun." I actually wanted to cry! I know this is what I want to do and I know when I become a teacher it will be different because I will get to know my students from the start. I was intimidated by the students in the beginning and after teaching for five minutes we became friends. I loved it!

1 comment:

Dr. Luongo said...

I am so glad to hear you had a good experience!

Teaching has its ups and downs. It can be emotional. It can be upsetting. Yet, one good day is worth 10 bad days in any other job. When you or a student has that "aha!" moment, there is really nothing like it.

Great post!