Thursday, April 17, 2008

What to do?

Today was my turn to teach in Principles and Techniques and although I have taught before I was a little nervous. I decided to do my unit on short stories and I figured it would be best to start with a story the students felt comfortable with. I wanted to teach a lesson that would be fun and attention grabbing but it was very hard since the first thing we had to get done was read the story. The students all cooperated and read! That was very exciting! Another lesson I had planned for this unit was the acting out of the story, where students would select a character in the story and play the role (as a group). They would be free to change the ending of the story or add characters but the plot and climax had to remain the same. I wish we could have started there, it would be fun! However, I felt it wouldn't be right since I wasn't sure how many students were familiar with the story. It was also important to read first because of vocabulary and pronunciation.

While I worked on the lesson plans I was happy with all of them except for the first one. It didn't seem like students would have fun and be interested. It made me realise that not every lesson is going to be filled with fun. However, I would have loved to teach for another day just to watch the student version of Rumpelstiltskin! Maybe I'll use this lesson again.

1 comment:

Dr. Luongo said...

Your self-reflection is refreshing and excellent, Catarina.

Not every lesson can be "fun". As a teacher, you need to focus on reaching your objectines. Some days your lessons can be fun and exciting...other days they can be quite mundane. However, a strong teacher knows that there is a time and place for both types of lessons.

Great observations! This is the start of a wonderful teaching career....